Image Map

Friday, February 8, 2013

Zephyr

I have to say, that out of all the bubble tea restaurants in Richmond/Vancouver, Zephyr never disappoints me. It's actually the first bubble tea restaurant I've ever been to, and it remains as the one I go to the most often. But enough talk, right on to the food!

First, the bubble teas: taro milk tea with pearls and rose green tea with pearls.

 

The bubble tea at Zephyr is always fantastic - there is absolutely none of that syrupy sweet flavor that I've experienced at some bubble tea places. The firmness of the pearls differs a bit from day to day but most of the time they are soft with just a little firmness. I prefer my pearls super soft, but hey, you can't win them all.

My favorite appetizer at Zephyr is the pork slice with garlic paste.



I think this is the Taiwanese version of this dish, it's slightly sweet with just a little garlic tang, and the cilantro is such a great accent. The only problem is that sometimes they don't add enough sauce to the pork, but this time it was perfect.

Next up, popcorn chicken with noodles in soup.



Sidenote: All the main meals at Zephyr come with a little side dish (what they give you varies all the time) and a little yogurt/pudding dessert. I don't know what they put in the popcorn chicken at bubble tea restaurants, but it's always SO good, and it's no exception at Zephyr. Seasoned perfectly, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The noodles in soup were also good. The soup wasn't bland and had a little bit of a peppery kick, and the noodles were slightly firm (but not undercooked).

Lastly, taiwanese braised pork with rice.



I have such a love hate relationship with this dish. Love: the flavor of the pork and the sauce it's braised in. Hate: how much fatty meat there is! The meat is usually 60% fat every time I get it and I usually don't even eat those parts, yet I continue to order this dish. Sigh.

Zephyr has a very nice atmosphere, when there's not too many people and it's not too late, it's quite ambient and a nice place to talk. During late night, and also when it's busy, there is loud music playing and the place just feels like a party, which is also awesome.

Like I said, this is my favorite bubble tea restaurant, so give it a try!

Zephyr Tea House Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment